THE BOOK
Some of the ideas discussed in this blog are published in my new book called "The Stonehenge Bluestones" -- available by post and through good bookshops everywhere. Bad bookshops might not have it....
To order, click
HERE

Tuesday 19 September 2017

The 2017 Pensarn dig



I had a pleasant chat with Adam Stanford this evening, having gone over to Pensarn to see where the current dig is being conducted.  He was flying his drone at the end of the day's work.

Out of respect for the diggers, I won't reveal anything about the dig until it has been made available to the public by MPP and others.  Mike is doing a talk this evening at Bluestone Brewery, and I will no doubt hear about what is revealed!  So I will do a post in due course.

I had been informed in advance of the approximate dig location, since there was apparently quite a bit of preparatory geophysics work last year while the 2016 dig was under way.  It wasn't located quite where I expected -- but there are two pits, about 100m apart.  The grid references are SN123357 and SN 122357.  The two excavations are on the other side of the road from the Bronze Age site investigated last year, and about 200 m away from it.  I'm not breaking any confidences by revealing the locations, since around 40 diggers have been at work this year, and many others have also visited the site.  Everybody in the neighbourhood knows exactly where it is!

Nothing shows up in the satellite imagery for the field in which the digs are located -- and this is exactly the situation in which detailed surveying and geophysics comes into its own.

Watch this space.....

Postscript:  I erroneously stated that I had met Colin Richards on the site.  It was actually Adam Stanford  -- apologies to both of them.

No comments: